Wednesday, April 8

Just discovered MIA

I completely missed the whole MIA phenomena, I guess it was around Grammys; just discovered and "blown" away

I bongo
with my lingo
And beat it like a wing yo
To Congo
To Columbo
Can't stereotype my thing yo
I salt and pepper my mango
Shoot spit
Out the window
Bingo I got em in the thing yo
Now what? I'm doing my thing yo


Talking about inspirations check out Jimmy (In case you missed the original connection/inspiration)

London, tamil tigers, terrorism, politics, immigration, bollywood, rap, Africa; its all in there.

Her story from Wikipedia

When she was six months of age, her family moved back to their native Sri Lanka. Motivated by his wish to support the Tamil militancy on the island, her father became a political activist, adopting the name Arular, and was a founding member of The Eelam Revolutionary Organisation of Students (EROS), a political Tamil group that worked to establish an independent Tamil Eelam. Her alias, M.I.A., stands for both Missing in Acton and Missing in Action.

Because of the conflict, the first years of her life were marked by displacement. relocated to Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India, moving into a derelict house. Contact with her father was strictly limited, as he was in hiding from the Sri Lanka Army. Later resettling in Jaffna, the conflict deteriorated further, and the family once again tried to flee the island.She has stated that her school was destroyed in a government raid. Eventually she, her two siblings, and mother (Kala) moved back to London where they were housed as refugees.

M.I.A. gave birth to a boy on 11 February 2009,naming him Ikhyd Edgar Arular Bronfman, just days after performing at the Grammy Awards.

No comments: